In 2010 the Trust’s Award was given to the major refurbishment of the McManus Galleries and the associated regeneration of Albert Square. The long term future of this A Listed Building has been secured by extensive underpinning of its foundations. Alterations to the building have been carefully carried out including a new main entrance on the south side and internally, a new lift and staircase. The high quality of external landscaping, both hard and soft, has created an attractive setting for the Galleries and the removal of traffic from the south side has allowed the formation of a pleasant pedestrian area. The designer was Page/ Park Architects, the client was Dundee City Council and the contractor was Muirfield Contracts.
In addition the Trust gave three Commendations. These were for: the West Port Development, a mixed use development including retail, casino, restaurants and serviced apartments; the restoration of Clement Park House which was built in 1854 for James Cox and is the largest surviving Jute Baron’s house in Dundee; and the construction of a new Grove Academy.